Conversion of water vapour diffusion values

Everything concerning the adequate application of WUFI in New Zealand and Australia depending on local conditions e.g. architecture, building codes, standardization, laws et cetera.
Iain McIver
WUFI User
WUFI User

Conversion of water vapour diffusion values

Post by Iain McIver » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:58 pm -1100

Hi All,

I just had a quick question on converting MVTR values to something that I can use in WUFI. I understand that MVTR values that are given in MNs/g can be converted to sd values simply by dividing by 5.1.

However I have just been given some data for a product which states that the MVTR of the product is "0.39 g/m^2 @ 24 hours" and gives the reference of ASTM E96

Does anyone know how to convert this to an sd value? can it be converted to an sd value?

Thanks
Iain

Manfred Kehrer
WUFI International Support Team
WUFI International Support Team

Post by Manfred Kehrer » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:10 am -1100

Hello Iain,

your value represents just a moisture flow, but there is something missing, the vapor pressure difference.

According to ASTM E96 the results should be stated in perm or g/m2sPa and the thickness of the specimen should be stated as well. Then it is possible.

Get the standard! You will learn a lot.
Manfred
Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
Official WUFI® Collaboration Partner for USA/Canada
Enjoy WUFI® :) .... It is easy and complex.

Iain McIver
WUFI User
WUFI User

Post by Iain McIver » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:42 am -1100

Thanks Manfred,

I will get back in touch with the manufacturer for that extra information, I will also try and get my hands on a copy of the standard :D

Thanks
Iain