Total Water Content and Radially Symmetrical Calculations

Everything that didn't fit in any other topic
Ned Lyon
WUFI User
WUFI User

Total Water Content and Radially Symmetrical Calculations

Post by Ned Lyon » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:16 am -1100

Total Water Content and Layer Water content in units of mass/area make sense for flat assemblies on the quick graphs. This data is is also provided when a Radially Symmetrical calculation is performed, but it is not clear what the results are because it is still labeled mass/area. Ideally this should be a total water content in the whole circular assembly or layer (we just ignore the /area), but I can find no documentation for this issue. Please clarify what these values mean for Radially Symmetrical calculations.

Thanks...
Ned at SGH

Manfred Kehrer
WUFI International Support Team

Post by Manfred Kehrer » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:26 am -1100

Hello Ned, nice to hear from you.

Looks like I have forgotten to take care about his issue. If things didn't change after I left, the radially symmetric option does not have an impact on the calculation of the "Total Water Content" which means it does not have meaningful values.

But Fluxes, Moisture Content (kg/m3) and Sources and Sinks are correct!

Greetings to the East Coast,
Manfred
Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
Official WUFI® Collaboration Partner for USA/Canada
Enjoy WUFI® :) .... It is easy and complex.

Ned Lyon
WUFI User
WUFI User

Post by Ned Lyon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:39 am -1100

Manfred...I forgot we are in the same time zone, and Andre isn't keeping you busy enough if I immediately get your ear...sorry I missed summer camp...

Just to clarify:

1. The Total Water content quick graph has no quantifiable meaning, except if it increases over time there is increasing moisture in the system.

2. The Water Content in Layer will have good moisture content by weight results on the right side scale. Should I assume the left scale Water Content is incorrect? If I export data I only get water content not moisture content %.

3. Now when I run Film, the moisture content % is correct? What about water content in Film? Water content is the only value I can output from film.

4. If Film water content is incorrect, I assume I could post process the numbers using the geometry somehow.

I ask all this because I know someone will want me to put results side by side on something other than WUFI graphs.

Thanks for your help...
Ned at SGH

Manfred Kehrer

Post by Manfred Kehrer » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:18 am -1100

Ned, you just got lucky with this couple minutes response before.

1. Yes
2. m% values are not meaningful, too.
3. Water Content curve is correct
4. N/A

I remember that I talked to Thomas Schmidt about this issue years ago before we have released the first version with radial symmetry. So, I did not forget. But we did not communicate this in the right way either.

So again:
All non averaged values are correct (Temp, RH, Water Content Profile in Film and also the Water Content Course accessed within the Film which is the dashed line.

All averaged values are not meaningful (Total Water Content and Layer Water Content).
Manfred
Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
Official WUFI® Collaboration Partner for USA/Canada
Enjoy WUFI® :) .... It is easy and complex.