Relative Humidity Stability

Everything that didn't fit in any other topic
Darren ODea
WUFI User
WUFI User

Relative Humidity Stability

Post by Darren ODea » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:06 pm -1100

Hi there,

I have been undertaking some research in some Australian climates (I don't think this is an Australian context discussion). I occasionally get drastic, seemingly overnight transitions from high RH in the outer 10 mm of the insulation layer to acceptable levels.

The example below is a lightweight south-facing external ventilated facade (35 ACH) with a vapour-permeable membrane and 90mm insulation layer followed by a 10 mm plasterboard layer. Canberra is the climate and driving rain is included. ASHRAE 160 internal loads (between 65 - 70%RH)
canberra.png
canberra.png (41.08 KiB) Viewed 4888 times
Can the sudden drop in RH within the 10 mm insulation layer be explained numerically as it appears incorrect?

Christian Bludau
WUFI SupportTeam IBP
WUFI SupportTeam IBP

Re: Relative Humidity Stability

Post by Christian Bludau » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:32 pm -1100

Hi Darren,
that may be a numerical problem or also a jump in the temperature for example. In the first step I would calculate for a longer time, maybe at least three years. If this behavior repeats every year, its probably no numerical issue.
Christian

Darren ODea
WUFI User
WUFI User

Post by Darren ODea » Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:22 am -1100

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the response.The data has been taken from a 5 year study and is from the second year. It repeats identically year on year.

I cannot identify an increase in the temperature of the 10 mm of insulation that directly correlates with the extreme RH drop.
canberra.png
canberra.png (59.67 KiB) Viewed 4881 times
Not with standing that RH has been maintained at high levels and this wall system is failing (ASHRAE 160), it still 'feels' incorrect/misleading. It only happens on the southern (low drying, non-equatorial facing) walls. North, west and east are fine!

Have you any further thoughts?
canberra2.png
canberra2.png (65.87 KiB) Viewed 4881 times

Christian Bludau
WUFI SupportTeam IBP
WUFI SupportTeam IBP

Post by Christian Bludau » Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:04 pm -1100

Hi Darren,

it looks to me as if dew water is forming during this period. You are evaluating a whole cm of insulation here, aren't you? If you only look at the outermost grid element, you will probably find a relative humidity of 100%, which indicates that condensation is forming in the pore volume.

Christian