Thermal conductivity in IP

Everything that didn't fit in any other topic
lmguen
WUFI User
WUFI User

Thermal conductivity in IP

Post by lmguen » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:37 am -1100

Hello Manfred,
In the material database for North America, the thermal conductivity IP units don't seem to change in Btu/h ft2.F (by the way, it's written just ft instead of square ft), they stay in SI as the values are way too low for most materials. I didn't check all the materials but a lot of them are wrong. I made sure by comparing with your sources, either ASHRAE 1018-RP or MEWS Task 3 from IRC. Just one example, the Low Density Sprayed Polyurethane Foam. It is said to have a thermal cond. of 0.021 Btu/h ft F, which is very low, it would give us an R-value of 48!!!!

Other thing, this one it might be me but after running the calculations, when you click right on the Quick Graph, you get the window saying Zoom back, Print and Export - ASC-file and picture. Well, when you save it as a picture, it goes indeed in windows save as bmp but it actually doesn't save any picture at all, at least on my version!! It did work exporting the ASC-file though...even though I had to re-learn the charts making in Excel, which are not as nice as the quick graphs.
That's it, thanks , sincerely yours

Louis-Martin Guenette
Forensic Waterproofing Consultants.
Louis-Martin Guenette
Forensic Waterproofing Consultants, LLC
P.O. Box 82638
Portland, Oregon 97282
Office (503) 772-1114
Fax (503) 772-4039

louis@forensicwp.net
http://www.forensicwp.net

Manfred Kehrer
WUFI International Support Team

Post by Manfred Kehrer » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:01 am -1100

Thank you we will check this and answer
Manfred
Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
Official WUFI® Collaboration Partner for USA/Canada
Enjoy WUFI® :) .... It is easy and complex.

Manfred Kehrer

Re: Thermal conductivity in IP

Post by Manfred Kehrer » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:39 pm -1100

lmguen wrote:Hello Manfred,
In the material database for North America, the thermal conductivity IP units don't seem to change in Btu/h ft2.F (by the way, it's written just ft instead of square ft),
The Thermal conductivity in SI is [W/mK] an in IP [Btu/h ft °F], so it think it is right.
lmguen wrote: they stay in SI as the values are way too low for most materials.
I made a test on the first two material of the north america database and the the values for the thermal conductivity has changed from SI to IP by the factor 1.73. as recommended in the IEEE/ASTM SI10 - 2002, so the conversion seems to be OK for me.

I contacted Achilles Karagiozis last night; he is responsible for this database. He will be back at ORNL next week and should answer you then.
lmguen wrote:Other thing, this one it might be me but after running the calculations, when you click right on the Quick Graph, you get the window saying Zoom back, Print and Export - ASC-file and picture. Well, when you save it as a picture, it goes indeed in windows save as bmp but it actually doesn't save any picture at all,
It is a small Bug which only occurs if you have some specific adjustments in the Windows Explorer. In this case you have to type the filename explicit with ".bmp" at the end and it will work.
Manfred
Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
Official WUFI® Collaboration Partner for USA/Canada
Enjoy WUFI® :) .... It is easy and complex.

Todd Watson
WUFI User
WUFI User

IP Unit for Thermal Conductivity

Post by Todd Watson » Mon May 15, 2006 2:25 am -1100

Because the unit provided is thermal conductivity not thermal conductance, the correct unit nomenclature should be (Btu ft)/(hr ft2 F). This has been reduced to Btu/(hr ft F). If you divide the thermal conductivity by the material thickness in feet you will get the thermal conductance of the material for the given thickness. This is the equivalent to the permeability for the material, that is, the reported value must be divided by the material thickness. Regards.

Todd Watson, P.E.
:wink:
R. J. Kenney Associates, Inc.
Building Envelope Consultants
Plainville, Massachusetts USA