Saved initial conditions not working with WUFI PRO 5

Everything that didn't fit in any other topic
Sami Roikonen
WUFI User
WUFI User

Saved initial conditions not working with WUFI PRO 5

Post by Sami Roikonen » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:36 am -1100

Hello!

I was trying to use modified txt-files with WUFI PRO 5 calculations and run into a problem. I did this in order to simulate concrete curing during construction. I would start with RH 100 concrete and let it cure for an appropriate amount of time and then extract the RH-profile to be used as initial condition file in the next calculation. The ASCII-file was easy to modify and it worked very well. I gave new RH to the new layer on top and kept the old RH values with the lower layers. This way I hoped to have a realistic RH curve over the concrete slab along with the materials that will be installed on top of the slab.

Everything was going really well at first, but when I added the last 2 layers (1 mm linoleum flooring (RH same as surrounding air) and 1 mm adhesive (RH 100)), WUFI started reading the txt-file incorrectly. The RH-curve looks fine in the preview screen, but when I start the calculation, it's distorted.

Here are some screenshots...

In the first attachment you can see some lines from the initial conditions -file. I've marked the lines that I've modified.

The second picture shows the model as it appears in WUFI. Looking fine.

The upper part of the third attachment shows the initial conditions -dialog and the preview of the txt-file. Still looking good, even though the y-axis is named water content. It was like that in the previous calculations, but it worked out well.

In the lower part of attachment three is the film-dialog and the RH-values (and also water content) are incorrect.

I'm well aware that since I've been fiddling with the initial conditions -file, WUFI performs interpolating in the grid. But this should be because of that. I've tried to give the layer of adhesive the same RH as the neighbouring parts of the grid, but it didn't change the result.

Help would be very much appreciated!

-Sami

Sami Roikonen
WUFI User
WUFI User

Re: Saved initial conditions not working with WUFI PRO 5

Post by Sami Roikonen » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:16 am -1100

And I do realise this is the wrong sub-forum. If the mods would be so kind and move this...

Sami Roikonen
WUFI User
WUFI User

Post by Sami Roikonen » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:35 pm -1100

Ok, I checked this thoroughly again and found out that WUFI always read the initial conditions -file as absolute water content data, even though I had used the model's RH-profile exported in ASCII.
Is there a way around this? I'd like to simply provide WUFI with a file with a RH curve instead of checking each material's moisture storage curve and convert my target RH-values in abs. water content. I do realise I could bypass this by simply exporting and using the abs. water content -profile, but I feel it's too much of a work-around.

This was easier when I was doing this with WUFI 2D, but the calculation times are exponentially longer and my models don't really benefit from 2D modeling.

I would be grateful for any given tips and help!

-Sami

Sami Roikonen
WUFI User
WUFI User

Post by Sami Roikonen » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:21 pm -1100

The work-around I mentioned in earlier post seems to be working and it's not very hard to do, so I'll stick with it. Problem solved!

Mods may delete this topic if they see fit.

veitner
WUFI SupportTeam IBP
WUFI SupportTeam IBP

Post by veitner » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:24 pm -1100

Thanks for the update.