Short & long wave radiation, & inputs for clad roofs

Everything that didn't fit in any other topic
josephbeag
WUFI User
WUFI User

Short & long wave radiation, & inputs for clad roofs

Post by josephbeag » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:53 pm -1100

Hi Manfred,

I enjoyed the course in December where one of the practical examples we went though included a zinc roof with 'open rebate'. On the day you gave us user defined data to input in the Surface Transfer Coefficient dialogue box. Your inputs: exterior surface Sd-value 25, short wave: 0.4, long wave 0.2, rain water absorption factor: 1.0

1) Can you explain where you get the first three inputs from? Is there a table for these kind of values that I can access?

2) I'm not familiar with the term 'open or closed rebate' in relation to standing seam roofs. Am I right in saying it relates to whether the upstand is totally vapour tight or only slightly? Would it's Sd value become nearer that of a foil membrane if it were airtight (i.e. ~10000)?

3) I'm aware that using the wrong inputs for metal roofs can result in significant errors. Could you say more about the relationship of the input for long-wave radiation emissivity to the default figures for explicit radiation balance?

4) In a climate file where do you check to see that you have 'appropriate values for the atmospheric counterradiation'?

Many thanks for your help!
:)

Manfred Kehrer
WUFI International Support Team
WUFI International Support Team

Post by Manfred Kehrer » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:47 pm -1100

Dear Joseph,

1) I think this value was just a guessed. The WUFI database has sd=50m for a siding including rebate. This comes from measurements. So we just used the half for a more open siding. The radiation values are from physical handbooks. The rain water absorption factor =1.0 is typical for roofs. It means 100% of rain water hitting the surface can be uptaken.

2)I think you are right. In reality the sd value of these roofs differ a lot depending on the tightness of the rebate.

3) This is hard to say. It depends on what your final conclusion should be.

4) Most of the climate files have hourly information for the atmospheric counterradiation, either the radiation itself (ILAH) or the cloud index (CI).
If the climate files contains neither ILAH nor CI, WUFI uses a constant cloud index which can be entered at the surface transfer coefficient. This is of course a very rough approximation.
Which climate files do you use?
Manfred
Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
Official WUFI® Collaboration Partner for USA/Canada
Enjoy WUFI® :) .... It is easy and complex.

Daniel
WUFI SupportTeam IBP
WUFI SupportTeam IBP

Post by Daniel » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:59 pm -1100

If you use a metal roof by surface sd-values you have to swith of the rain water absorption.

Daniel
Dr.-Ing. Daniel Zirkelbach, Deputy Head of Department Hygrothermics, IBP Holzkirchen