Isolate 1D Heat/moisture transfer in WUFI Plus, or use WUFI 5.3?

Everything that didn't fit in any other topic
burketthw
WUFI User
WUFI User

Isolate 1D Heat/moisture transfer in WUFI Plus, or use WUFI 5.3?

Post by burketthw » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:58 am -1100

Hi,
I need to analyze the one-dimensional thermal and moisture transfer through a wall assembly using recorded internal and external Temp and RH. I have an educational license of WUFI Plus and a trial version of WUFI ORNL 5.3.
Using WUFI Plus, is it possible to isolate one wall assembly, and import user-provided files for both the external and internal temps and RH? In other words, can it perform a 1D hygrothermal assessment without running a whole building simulation? I have tried to build a single wall in the 3D Edit window, but this does not seem to work because there is not a valid net volume.
In WUFI 5.3, I need to define my own materials or edit the existing, because the material database does not provide the materials I need. In the help menu, this appears to be possible, but I guess it's not available in the trial version. Similarly, I need to select user-defined files for the indoor and outdoor climates. I expect that this is another option only available in the Pro version.
Because I have already bought WUFI Plus, I need to know if it is possible to perform this analysis in this software.

Thanks.

Christian Bludau
WUFI SupportTeam IBP
WUFI SupportTeam IBP

Re: Isolate 1D Heat/moisture transfer in WUFI Plus, or use WUFI 5.3?

Post by Christian Bludau » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:25 pm -1100

In WUFI 5.3 trial it is not possible to use your own climate files or enter new materials. The full version further has the same database as WUFI Plus.
Christian

mpazold
WUFI SupportTeam IBP
WUFI SupportTeam IBP

Post by mpazold » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:21 pm -1100

It is not the use case of WUFI Plus, but it is theoretical possible. For the external surface you can import climate files, for exampe .wac files like in WUFI Pro. On the inner surface you can set design conditions respectively an optional climate as inner climate condition within the zone instead of simulating it. Make sure to neglect inner sources, like the radiant heat source and solar gain through transparent components, the directly influence the inner surface of the component (not only the zone climate). Of cause WUFI Plus is for whole building simulation, so you have to set the zone net volume, however it is used to simulate the climate.

burketthw
WUFI User
WUFI User

Post by burketthw » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:29 am -1100

Is it possible take a complete file created in WUFI plus, and import the wall assembly information into WUFI Pro?, to run a 1D analysis on the wall assembly by itself?

mpazold
WUFI SupportTeam IBP
WUFI SupportTeam IBP

Post by mpazold » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:17 am -1100

it is possible if you have designed the assembly via the database. WUFI Plus and Pro use the same. If you haven't designed the assembly in the database, it is not possible, at the moment.