Climates similar to Uk/Eire?

fostertom
WUFI User
WUFI User

Climates similar to Uk/Eire?

Post by fostertom » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:20 am -1100

While UK and Eire weather files remain unavailable, as an alternative to either paying a lot to buy weather files or to using Meteonorm (which under-estimates driving rain), which European and/or US/rest of world files (which are provided) are most comparable with UK and Eire?

I thought Brussels, for inland southern UK, Oostende for coastal or upland southern UK - but someone said Oostende is best for (all?) UK.

Japan? NZ? Seattle/Vancouver? I believe the US eastern seaboard would not be right, because though further south than UK (more sunshine) it's much colder/cloudier (no Gulf Stream).

fostertom
WUFI User
WUFI User

Re: Climates similar to Uk/Eire?

Post by fostertom » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:51 am -1100

Well I do have a London LONDhour_extreme.wac file, so have been comparing the Analyze graphics in WUFI with that.

NZ, Japan nothing like - and anything southern hemisphere is reversed, can't imagine how to bodge around that.

Nothing N America is similar, except Seattle (hot or cold year variants), though
more high-sun summer insolation,
less windy hours
and from S not SW,
more rain.

Temp and humidity profiles v similar to London,
wind speed similar.

I guess it might do well for Bristol and anything more sheltered but sunnier, S and W of London. Like Tavistock, W side of Dartmoor - sunny but notoriously rainy, except it gets strong SW winds.

Oostende has a bit more insolation than Brussels and London,
Oostende and Brussels have less windy hours than London,
Brussels has more rain than Oostende and London.

All 3 temp profile v similar,
Oostende sustains higher humidity thro the summer, while Brussels and London decline in summer,
all 3 wind speed and direction similar.

Others in coastal N Germany and S Scandinavia also look good.

Any opinions?

Any guidlines on how to subjectively modify weather files? Like Tavistock, W side of Dartmoor - sunny but notoriously rainy, with strong SW winds.