sketchup import to redefine existing geometry

All about WUFI Passive
bundledesignstudio
WUFI User
WUFI User

sketchup import to redefine existing geometry

Post by bundledesignstudio » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:39 am -1100

I have an existing WUFI file with an existing sketchup file.

I have made a few improvements and need to re-import the geometry to WUFI......but when I try it erases all the existing geometry inputs.

Is there a way to import the sketchup geometry so that it retains all the existing inputs?

It will take HOURS and HOURS to update all my inputs!!

Thanks for the help!

mwinkler
WUFI SupportTeam IBP
WUFI SupportTeam IBP

Re: sketchup import to redefine existing geometry

Post by mwinkler » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:49 pm -1100

Dear bundledesignstudio,

usually, you can update your building geometry so that existing inputs in WUFI Plus/Passive (e.g. assemblies, internal loads, ...) are retained. However, there is a bug in SketchUp that appears if you work with multiple zones: The number of zones defined with the WUFIPlus-SketchUp-Plugin is not imported, if Sketch-Up is started by double-clicking on a .skp-File. The properties of all objects are still saved correctly, but will only show up if you re-enter the correct number of zones or a higher number. If you don't update the number of zones the plugin assumes that you only have 1 zone and your geometry won't be exported correctly.

This problem can be avoided by first starting SketchUp and open the .skp-File afterwards. Then, the number of zones will be retained by SketchUp and you don't have to re-enter it.

Greetings
mwinkler

bundledesignstudio
WUFI User
WUFI User

Re: sketchup import to redefine existing geometry

Post by bundledesignstudio » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:40 am -1100

mwinkler,

thanks for the reply.

We typically work on single family buildings....so single zone only.

When updating geometry, most of the assemblies and systems are retained, unless there are NEW planes of geometry.

What we always lose, however, is all our window data.....and the windows inputs are what is so time consuming.