Redundant Occupancy Counts for School?

All about WUFI Passive
hbreaux
WUFI User
WUFI User

Redundant Occupancy Counts for School?

Post by hbreaux » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:14 am -1100

In case anyone happens to check this forum ever again this decade, I have another question about another project. This time it is a high school and it's unclear to me how WUFI wants to handle occupancy inputs. Under the occupancy tab there is a field for absolute 'occupant quantity' similar to residential projects where I would typically enter a discrete quantity (# bedrooms +1 per unit). However, there is also the opportunity to create multiple occupancy listings below that on the same occupancy tab.

It appears that one is also able to enter calculated occupancy inputs based on user defined utilization patterns, activity level, AND occupant quantity. So the dilemma is trying to understand the relationship between what appears to be an 'absolute' and 'calculated' occupancy number. Judging by the impact to the resultant energy numbers, the 'calculated' seems correct when a '0' is in what I am calling the 'absolute' field. Can anyone shed some light on this?

mpazold
WUFI SupportTeam IBP
WUFI SupportTeam IBP

Re: Redundant Occupancy Counts for School?

Post by mpazold » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:37 pm -1100

in the occupancy tab, for non-residential buildings, the occupant quantity at the top is the overall number the building is planned for. This value is mostly used for other occupancy dependend calculations, e.g. for the DHW demand calculation (espacially for this it is maybe overestimated for schools).

The list-entry below, is used for internal heat gains due to persons, where you can specifiy how long they are in the building. (But only if you set the internal heat gains to be calculated in the 'General' Tab for the PH case).

hbreaux
WUFI User
WUFI User

Re: Redundant Occupancy Counts for School?

Post by hbreaux » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:56 am -1100

Thank you.

This is for a school. So, should I set "Occupant quantity" to "0" and only input occupancy in the dropdown below where occupancy is qualified by utilization pattern?