Modeling Through Flat Ceiling/Sloped Roof Attic Spaces

All about WUFI Pro
SFrancis
WUFI User
WUFI User

Modeling Through Flat Ceiling/Sloped Roof Attic Spaces

Post by SFrancis » Tue May 17, 2022 3:32 am -1100

Hello all,

I hope you are well. I had a question concerning modelling of ventilated and unventilated attic spaces (flat ceiling, sloped roof). We are studying the interaction between the indoor environment (conditioned space below the flat ceiling) and the outdoor environment (outside the sloped roof), and I'm wondering how best to model this setup. I was wondering if the solution for my present case would be to conduct two analyses, one through the flat ceiling assembly to the attic space, and one from the attic space through the sloped roof assembly. In this case, I imagine a custom climate file would need to be created?

Are there other solutions?

Thanks for your time, all.

Christian Bludau
WUFI SupportTeam IBP
WUFI SupportTeam IBP

Re: Modeling Through Flat Ceiling/Sloped Roof Attic Spaces

Post by Christian Bludau » Wed May 25, 2022 3:41 am -1100

Hi SFrancis,

as WUFI Pro is thought to be used for assemblies, the boundary conditions have to be set on both sides. So even from two separate simulations you only can guess the interior climate. There are two ways to go on here:

1) As suggested you can create a climate file for the attic space. We set up an model for that, but thats not yet in WUFI. It was created during our climate project a few years ago. You can find that on our homepage but unfortunately only in German:
https://wufi.de/de/service/downloads#tab2 -> See "Nebenraumklimadaten für Holzkirchen". Attic space is "Dachraum" in German.

2) You could use WUFI Plus to calculate the attic climate based on the indoor climate below and outdoor climate by simulating the attic space with its enclosing areas.

Christian