DensElement™ BARRIER SYSTEM

johannbjorn
WUFI User
WUFI User

DensElement™ BARRIER SYSTEM

Post by johannbjorn » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:09 am -1100

Dear forum,

I want to simulate the a roof with roofing felt as DensElement™ BARRIER SYSTEM from wufi database.

The DensElement™ BARRIER SYSTEM is in the WUFI material database and should be watertight but lets vapour out through the construction according to its technical guide.
  1. I need the Sd-value [m] or the vapour transfer coefficient [kg/m2sPa] for the barrier system in WUFI2D. In the technical guide of DensElement the vapour transfer coefficient is given as:
    Permeance: US perms (ng/m2•s•Pa) ≤24 (1823).
    Does that mean I can use the vapour transfer coefficient at the exterior surface as: 1.823e-9 kg/m2sPa ?
  2. As seen in the figure below the thickness of the den-element should be 0.01588m. If I want to include the dens in my simulation is it neccessary to adjust the thickness of the dens element to 0.01588m?
  3. Is it reasonable to use this material as a roofing felt on top of a gypsum roof board air tight roof.

Technical guide:
https://denselement.com/wp-content/uplo ... _Guide.pdf
Attachments
roof-section.png
roof-section.png (141.85 KiB) Viewed 9606 times
dens.JPG
dens.JPG (66.71 KiB) Viewed 9606 times

Manfred Kehrer
WUFI International Support Team

Re: DensElement™ BARRIER SYSTEM

Post by Manfred Kehrer » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:04 am -1100

1. I think you mixed up US perm, Metric Perm, and ng/sm2Pa
2. I am not sure what you want to do.
3. Not sure what you want to do. If you are designing a roof, Georgia Pacific will likely say to you this is not a roofing board
Manfred
Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
Official WUFI® Collaboration Partner for USA/Canada
Enjoy WUFI® :) .... It is easy and complex.

johannbjorn
WUFI User
WUFI User

Post by johannbjorn » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:42 am -1100

Hi Manfred,

i. I want to simulate a roofing felt. The roofing felt should be open. That is, vapour can pass out of the construction but liquid will not pass through it into the construction. Is this doable in WUFI?

1. So what is the vapour transfer coefficient if the permeance is 1823 ng/m2•s•Pa (is ng not the same as nano gram? i.e. 1 ng = 1e-12 kg?)
2. in the material data base of denselement there is window down below that says thickness 0.01588m (see figure above, red circle) Does this mean that the dens-element I create in my construction in WUFI should be 0.01588m?
3. Ok.

Warm regards, Jóhann

Manfred Kehrer

Post by Manfred Kehrer » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:53 am -1100

1. Of course this is possible set liquid transport coefficient to zero and fill in a my value for your material
2. If you mean "Vapor Transport Coefficient" then the my value = sd value [m] / Thickness [m]. The sd value is roughly 200 ng/smPa / 1823 ng/sm2Pa =0.11m.
Manfred
Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
Official WUFI® Collaboration Partner for USA/Canada
Enjoy WUFI® :) .... It is easy and complex.