ASHRAE 160 standard for concrete

Michael Hurd
WUFI User
WUFI User

ASHRAE 160 standard for concrete

Post by Michael Hurd » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:15 am -1100

The ASHRAE 160 standard requires the initial moisture content of concrete to be set at two times EMC90 for concrete. This seems excessive to me for concrete that is oriented vertically, whether it is a poured in place concrete wall or architectural precast that is cladding the exterior of a building. Are there any studies that validate 2 x EMC90 for vertical concrete? I can understand the use of this for flat floor/roof slabs that can pond water during construction but not for a vertical application. Also, while running a calculation with 2 x EMC90 for C35 concrete, I receive an error message that indicates that I have exceeded the moisture content that concrete is capable of holding - is this typical? If so, this also leads me to believe that 2 x EMC90 is too extreme. Thoughts?
Respectfully,

Michael Hurd

Manfred Kehrer
WUFI International Support Team
WUFI International Support Team

Re: ASHRAE 160 standard for concrete

Post by Manfred Kehrer » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:24 am -1100

Hello Michael,
2xEMC90 applies only if your concrete is not sheltered, otherwise it is EMC90. I have not seen any measurements justifying that. If 2x EMC90 exceeds the max. moisture content then just adapt to make it work. Needless to say, we cannot address every single type of concrete when we discuss in SSPC 160. Also I don't think that 2xEMC90 is in general too high for unsheltered on site poured concrete.

The standard also states if you know it better then use your own approach.

Hope this helps,
Manfred
Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
Official WUFI® Collaboration Partner for USA/Canada
Enjoy WUFI® :) .... It is easy and complex.

Axelarris
WUFI User
WUFI User

Re: ASHRAE 160 standard for concrete

Post by Axelarris » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:04 am -1100

So, how do I determine the ECM90?
I want to model concrete-filled CMU. I don't see CMU or concrete in the North American database.
I am using "concrete screed, mid layer" for the concrete in the core, and "masonry cement mortar - type S" for the mortar joints, but how do I model the CMU face?