Practice problem from Dublin seminar December 2012

Everything concerning the adequate application of WUFI in Ireland & UK depending on local conditions e.g. architecture, building codes, standardization, laws et cetera.
will_thorne
WUFI User
WUFI User

Practice problem from Dublin seminar December 2012

Post by will_thorne » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:59 am -1100

Hi All,

Happy new year! I just did the practice problem and I get the result that the blown insulation is OK over the living room but not over the shower. Mould growth is not a problem but rot potentially is because the moisture levels in the OSB decking and cellulose insulation are close to the 20% level at which decay will start to occur with a gradual upward trend. See images below. Is that the conclusion that others came to? Did you get similar graphs?

I did get 415 convergence failures even with adaptive time step control switched on, is that something to be concerned about?

Best,
Will

Daniel
WUFI SupportTeam IBP
WUFI SupportTeam IBP

Post by Daniel » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:10 am -1100

Dear Will,

how do you differentiate between living room and shower climate?

The convergence failures are less important concerning the numerical quaility of the result than the balance differences... what were the values vor balance 1 and balance 2?

best regards
Daniel
Dr.-Ing. Daniel Zirkelbach, Deputy Head of Department Hygrothermics, IBP Holzkirchen

will_thorne
WUFI User
WUFI User

Post by will_thorne » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:23 am -1100

I set the moisture load to 'high' in the EN15026 internal climate for the simulation I ran for the shower room, otherwise the assembly was unchanged. Is that a correct approach?

Edit: The balances were very close. I don't have the results in front of me right now.

Thanks,
Will
Last edited by will_thorne on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:26 am -1100, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel
WUFI SupportTeam IBP
WUFI SupportTeam IBP

Post by Daniel » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:37 am -1100

Seems to be OK with high moisture load. But more details concerning the case should better come from Joseph...? I just noticed that it's a practice case from the Dublin course!

Daniel
Dr.-Ing. Daniel Zirkelbach, Deputy Head of Department Hygrothermics, IBP Holzkirchen