Conductivty - Moisture Content Charts?

Everything concerning the adequate application of WUFI in Ireland & UK depending on local conditions e.g. architecture, building codes, standardization, laws et cetera.
Tuireann
WUFI User
WUFI User

Conductivty - Moisture Content Charts?

Post by Tuireann » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:59 am -1100

Hi all,

Im a student investigating hygrothermal effect of moisture on the heat transmittance of strawbale walls and am new to WUFI. Basically I intend to assess the effect of moisture content at 25%,50% etc etc on the thermal conductivity of strawbale wall.

After inputting the wall build up & running calculations, i was wondering how WUFI outputs this kind of information? I saw a chart on the homepage of the effect of moisture on the conductivity of various insulants. Will Wufi Pro 5 output this information or is it from a different version?

Thanks, sorry if im not explaining myself very well

Tuireann

Tuireann
WUFI User
WUFI User

Post by Tuireann » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:48 am -1100

or to put it in far simpler terms, how can one produce this kind of graph? http://i42.tinypic.com/11h9emp.jpg

It is shown on the "overview of WUFI" link on the Basics tab of the main site.
Thanks!

Christian Bludau
WUFI SupportTeam IBP
WUFI SupportTeam IBP

Post by Christian Bludau » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:01 am -1100

Hello Tuireann,

this are measured data about thermal heat conductivity depending on the moisture content. You can not produce them with Wufi, this are the material properties. You can see the curves if you do an double click on the material an see the graph for the thermal conductivity, moisture dependent on the right side.

The values are measured using the guarded hot plate apparatus.
Christian

Tuireann
WUFI User
WUFI User

Post by Tuireann » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:27 am -1100

Thanks Christian, i had thought that might be the case! the problem im faced with is I need the moisture dependent thermal conductivity of straw, which isnt in any of the current databases.

Ive noticed theres a project file for straw in the Materials forum, however it doesnt seem to be compatible with the latest versions of WUFI sadly.

Christian Bludau
WUFI SupportTeam IBP
WUFI SupportTeam IBP

Post by Christian Bludau » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:37 am -1100

Hello Tuirean, download the file, if you have a full version it is working... Christian