modelling 40's house retrofit: wood chip properties and initial conditions

Everything concerning the adequate application of WUFI in the USA and Canada depending on local conditions e.g. architecture, building codes, standardization, laws et cetera.
mbd
WUFI User
WUFI User

modelling 40's house retrofit: wood chip properties and initial conditions

Post by mbd » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:35 am -1100

Bonjour,

i'm trying to model effect on hygrothermal performance of retrofit for a house built in the 40's with existing walls made of :

1" pine wood planks vert.
1" pine wood planks hor.
4" wood chips
1" pine wood planks hor.
1/2" pine wood planks vert.

Q 1 : i have the value of thermal conductivity of wood in the form of chips (from a old french canadian research paper comparing "modern" insulation to traditional!), but i cannot find wood chips "wall insulation" moisture related data. i'm wondering how similar the properties of wood and wood chips are. do you know what i can use directly from wood datas and where i could get other datas or how i can estimate it?

Q 2: default initial conditions are set to 80% RH in the sofware. when i run a simulation using those conditions i have to wait more than 6 years before to get lower and steady (at least!) RH conditions over one year. is this time lapse normal? if i start the simulation at 50% RH than it goes up!?! What initial conditions would be the more appropriate in this case?

thank you in advance for your help

marianne