Precast panel make-up affect on hygrothermal performance

Everything concerning the adequate application of WUFI in the USA and Canada depending on local conditions e.g. architecture, building codes, standardization, laws et cetera.
Michael Hurd
WUFI User
WUFI User

Precast panel make-up affect on hygrothermal performance

Post by Michael Hurd » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:04 am -1100

I am trying to model an exterior precast wall panel where the panel sandwiches the insulation between to sections of concrete. Here is the actual make-up: 3/4" thin brick (placed in the panel form before pouring the concrete) followed by a 2" face panel concrete, Then 2" of extruded polystyrene and finally 4" of concrete to form the back of the panel. In light of the paper written regarding the hygrothermal properties of concrete exposed to weather, I'm wondering if this concrete panel will behave in the manner described in that paper or if having a thin face brick on the precast panel would prevent the precast panel from forming the "drying" zone described in the paper on your website. A second question would be if the precast will develop the "drying" zone, the dimensions of the face portion of the panel do not really allow for the 70 and 80mm zones described in the paper, so I wonder how to treat this condition. As always, I look forward to your input!
Respectfully,

Michael Hurd

Manfred Kehrer
WUFI International Support Team
WUFI International Support Team

Post by Manfred Kehrer » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:33 pm -1100

Dear Michael,

which paper do we talk about?
Manfred
Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
Official WUFI® Collaboration Partner for USA/Canada
Enjoy WUFI® :) .... It is easy and complex.

Michael Hurd
WUFI User
WUFI User

Post by Michael Hurd » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:59 am -1100

Hygrothermal properties and behaviour of concrete by Kunzel, Holm and Krus - WTA Almanach 2008. This paper appears on your website and discusses the drying zone created in concrete exposed to weather.
Respectfully,

Michael Hurd

Michael Hurd
WUFI User
WUFI User

Post by Michael Hurd » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:26 pm -1100

Hadn't seen a response, can someone take a look at this questions please?
Respectfully,

Michael Hurd