climate files don't appear on the map !

All about WUFI 2D
manexi
WUFI User
WUFI User

climate files don't appear on the map !

Post by manexi » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:07 pm -1100

Hi,

I've downloaded yesterday the WUFI ORNL version on my computer, and now, when i use my "traditionnel" version (WUFI 2D), there's no more climate files on the map.

In fact, i've searched them on the correct repertory and they are the climate files, but "in blue", as if there was a problem, and they don't appear on the map.
I think i can go and get them directly in the right repertory, but i don't understand why i can't pick them on the map.

Maybe it's a problem of compatibility with ORNL ? (even if i've created another reportrly just for it) ? Do you have some ideas or solutions ?

Sincerely,

Manexi

veitner
WUFI SupportTeam IBP
WUFI SupportTeam IBP

Re: climate files don't appear on the map !

Post by veitner » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:59 pm -1100

manexi wrote:Hi,
I've downloaded yesterday the WUFI ORNL version on my computer, and now, when i use my "traditionnel" version (WUFI 2D), there's no more climate files on the map.
The ORNL-Version only contains a subset of the climate data available with WUFI2D.
manexi wrote: In fact, i've searched them on the correct repertory and they are the climate files, but "in blue", as if there was a problem, and they don't appear on the map.
Perhaps you have enabled "compress unfrequently used files to save disk space" somewhere in MSWindows together with "mark them blue" or sth.
manexi wrote: I think i can go and get them directly in the right repertory, but i don't understand why i can't pick them on the map.
In WUFI2D you can add an override for the climate data location (the orignal search location has been modified by the installation of the WUFI-ORNL-Version). Open Windows Explorer and type "%APPDATA%" into the location bar. This will point you to a folder with an ini-File of WUFI2D (sth. like WUFI2D-3.3.ini). Open that file using a text editor (e.g. write.exe) and insert

[Climate]
Directory=c:\wherevertheoriginaldatais\

at the beginning of the file.
This will force WUFI2D to use the climate data located in the specified directory.
manexi wrote: Maybe it's a problem of compatibility with ORNL ? (even if i've created another reportrly just for it) ? Do you have some ideas or solutions ?
Exactly that caused the problem (the additional repository). Otherwise both programs would use the same climate data.

Best regards
Veit

manexi
WUFI User
WUFI User

Post by manexi » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:10 am -1100

Well, thank you very much, and it seems quite "simple", but it doesn't work, even if i've done everything correctly. If you have some additional advices...

Best regards

Christian Bludau
WUFI SupportTeam IBP
WUFI SupportTeam IBP

Post by Christian Bludau » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:17 am -1100

Hi Manexi,

try to reinstall Wufi 2D, that should help...

Christian

veitner
WUFI SupportTeam IBP
WUFI SupportTeam IBP

Post by veitner » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:27 am -1100

Hmmh - can you rename all of your climate folders (e.g. climate -> climate1)?
After that start WUFI2D.
You should get an error message "can not find climate data. Please check *.ini".
If you don't get such a message you still have a "climate-folder" somewhere - rename that as well.
Edit the ini-file mentioned in the error-message and adjust the path to "c:\yourInstallationFolder\climate1".
Start WUFI2D again.

No error:
Rename the folders back to "climate" and adjust the path in the ini-file.
Check availability of the climate data

Error:
double check the path in your ini-file

No luck:
Check the windows registry (regedit.exe) The relevant key is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/IBP-Software/dirclimate
But editing the registry is on your own risk - you can damage your system very easily.

Best regards
Veit

manexi
WUFI User
WUFI User

Post by manexi » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:11 am -1100

Thank you for these advices, i'm about to understand the problem...
I've change the names of folders, and it's ok, i have now the right path : i don't have error messages when i open WUFI, and i can see the names of cities on the map.

But... when i choose a city, i can see the continent, the location (with geographic longitude, etc...), but no climate file... there is a message : "No climate File available for this Climate Location, do you want to continue anyway ?".
When i choose a file with "Select user defined file" (and go to the right path to take it), it works.
At least I can use them, without map, but do you know how can i fix that ?

Best regards

Christian Bludau
WUFI SupportTeam IBP
WUFI SupportTeam IBP

Post by Christian Bludau » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:54 pm -1100

Hej Manexi,

please try to reinstall Wufi2D...
That should work

Christian

manexi
WUFI User
WUFI User

Post by manexi » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:03 pm -1100

Hi everyone,

after other projects i'm back to WUFI, and i've reinstalled WUFI 2D as you told me, so now it works, i can have my WUFI projects and so on like before (thanks !).

Anyway i'd like to install the non-commercial version of WUFI ORNL, but i'm afraid there will be again the problem i described 2 months ago. Do you have some advices / things to do during the installation to avoid this problem ?

Thanks a lot !

Daniel
WUFI SupportTeam IBP
WUFI SupportTeam IBP

Post by Daniel » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:15 pm -1100

We hope that there will occur no mor problems when installing WUFI ORNL. Please simply try it.

Do you use Windows 7??

Daniel
Dr.-Ing. Daniel Zirkelbach, Deputy Head of Department Hygrothermics, IBP Holzkirchen

krisba
WUFI User
WUFI User

Post by krisba » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:46 am -1100

I´m having somewhat of the same problem.
When I open Wufi 2D, I get a error message saying I need to specify my climate folder in the.ini file, or re-install the program.
So I did install it again, and then I get the error message "Could not find database".

Any tips? Tried installin it 3 times now. I installed WUFI Bio, but Wufi 2D worked after that for a while. Suddenly I get the errors. I´m on Windows 7.

krisba
WUFI User
WUFI User

Post by krisba » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:51 am -1100

Nevermind.
Solution was to just delete the .ini file before re-install.

jarrett davis
WUFI User
WUFI User

Some Weather Files Missing

Post by jarrett davis » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:07 am -1100

Ok, I am having similar issues. Some of the weather files are available in 5.2 on the map, and they show up in yellow, but many of the files are not available as they don't have any data with them, and they are gray in color. Any suggestions as to how to get the files for those cities?

veitner
WUFI SupportTeam IBP
WUFI SupportTeam IBP

Post by veitner » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:52 am -1100

Please navigate to
http://www.wufi.de/frame_en_downloads.html
and search for
ORNL climate data

Regards
Veit

jarrett davis
WUFI User