Drainage plane

Everything concerning hygrothermal Sources & Sinks within the assembly
FBabineau
WUFI User
WUFI User

Drainage plane

Post by FBabineau » Wed May 18, 2011 5:49 am -1100

In modeling any drainage plane, is there any way to model the actual drainage? Can a moisture sink be inserted at another layer to represent liquid water drained away, or is an air source and evaporation the only way?

Thomas
WUFI Administrator
WUFI Administrator

Re: Drainage plane

Post by Thomas » Thu May 19, 2011 4:46 am -1100

If the water is brought in by a moisture source, you can use the "source term clipping" feature to limit the water content in the source region to a specified maximum value. This corresponds to the assumption that the material containing the moisture source can only hold a maximum amount of water, any excess automatically being drained by running off.

However, if the moisture does not come from a moisture source but accumulates for other reasons (e.g. condensation of water vapor migrating through the component), then there is no type of moisture sink which would wait for the moisture to exceed some threshold value and then drain the surplus water away.
Hm, maybe we should introduce such a feature simulating the run-off of condensing moisture... But currently it does not exist.

Regards,
Thomas

Jonas
WUFI User
WUFI User

Post by Jonas » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:51 pm -1100

Hello,

is there an update for this problem? I've a wall with a unventilated cavity and steal plate on the outside (ship's hold). However, the condensation can be drained by pumping.

best regards,
Jonas

Manfred Kehrer
WUFI International Support Team
WUFI International Support Team

Post by Manfred Kehrer » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:08 am -1100

Hello Francis,
was nice to have met you at ASHRAE this June, how are things in Colorado?
Sorry I must have overseen your recent post. There is no "update" for this problem, however there is always and option to program specific plug-ins for the calculation kernel to realize a draining.

I could do such services for you. Let me know, If I should send you a proposal.

Greetings,
Manfred
Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
Official WUFI® Collaboration Partner for USA/Canada
Enjoy WUFI® :) .... It is easy and complex.