Sample data for sandstone using Karsten Tube tests

Everything concerning hygrothermal Sources & Sinks within the assembly
EsTresidder
WUFI User
WUFI User

Sample data for sandstone using Karsten Tube tests

Post by EsTresidder » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:50 pm -1100

Hi all,

I've read the Historic Environment Scotland Technical Paper 15 in which it details how to do the Karsten Tube Test. My question is what would you then do with that data in order to be able to run a WUFI calc. The Karsten tube test looks to give you enough data to calculate the A value, but none of the other material properties that are in WUFI and used for calculations. Would I just take a sandstone (or several sandstones, in order to bracket the calculations with other sensitive but unknown material properties) from the database that had a similar A value to that found using the Karsten tube tests?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Daniel
WUFI SupportTeam IBP
WUFI SupportTeam IBP

Re: Sample data for sandstone using Karsten Tube tests

Post by Daniel » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:28 pm -1100

Dear Es,

you're right, the A value is only one of the properties - however, for the rain water protection the A value is the most important point. In addition, if done well the A value measurement on the facade should also include the water uptake of the joints including possible cracks.

Nevertheless you should try to choose the other properties as realistic as possible (a similar sandstone from the data base) - or, if unknown, do y paramter study sith different sandstone.

You can also discuss this point with Joseph Little... as he's one of the authors of the paper!

best regards
Daniel
Dr.-Ing. Daniel Zirkelbach, Deputy Head of Department Hygrothermics, IBP Holzkirchen